Tuesday, September 3, 2013

"Layers are Your Best Friend."

I have been told this countless times.  Any time I inquire to someone as to what I should pack, this, variably, is included somewhere within the answer.

Less than a week out, and I am still unsure about what I am going to pack much less how many suitcases I am going to bring.  I have been told that less is more and I will certainly take that into account - I do not need my entire wardrobe (I do not even use it all when it is available right in front of me). In the future, I might feature a more comprehensive list or guide for the next soul planning an extended stay in Georgia, but for now, this might be merely for my sake.

First and foremost, I have been told, is that the most important thing or things you could bring to Georgia are items that will keep you warm.  Long underwear, thermal socks, thermal shirts, a good raincoat, winter jacket, hat, gloves (fall, winter), and a scarf.  Oh, a good pair of boots is also a must.  Having journeyed to Russia in the dead of winter, growing up in Chicago, and having gone to school in Montana, the cold really does not faze me all that much.  What concerns me more so is the potential for inadequate heating indoors, most Georgians do not have central heating and some do not have heating at all! For this reason, I am bringing a sleeping bag.

Second, I must bring professional, conservative attire. Blouses, skirts, slacks, dresses.  How much of each? I have yet to determine that.  Earlier this summer, I received an excellent deal on all of the above and think I will be able to adequately mix and match.

Casual wear.  Well, there will be a few items so that I can relax on weekends/go on hikes/take side trips.  Sleepwear will be included.

On the equipment side of things...well, that is a heap of things all of its own.  Where to begin? Head lamp, flashlights (electricity is not entirely reliable, especially outside of major cities and in old Soviet-bloc style apartment buildings), extra pair of glasses, sunglasses, gifts, cold medicine, adaptors, cameras, batteries, external hard drive, thumb drives, memory cards, and what else...lots more, which has all, unsurprisingly, been forgotten at this current juncture (but luckily is piled in various parts of my room).

Basically, what this all comes down to is that packing for this type of trip just stresses me out.

Over and out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment